Monday 31 January 2011

'Reverting to Type' @ Standpoint Gallery and L.A.F

                                     
                                                          
                                                Image from cover of broadsheet exhibition catalogue 
    


It was a slight stroke of luck that I found this exhibition, I was
in the Old Street area and remembered the bookartbookshop
that we we're meant to of visited several weeks ago, but I re-
gretfully hadn't done. However, popped in and then literally ac-
ross from the book shop there was the Standpoint Gallery in
which there was a vast array of printed type.
 

                                              
                                                                'Good Type' -
                                                              Standpoint Gallery


bookartbookshop  Photo - AH


Standpoint Gallery
Photo - AH


A couple were really interesting especially the ones created
by Nigel and his first year Graphic students at Chelsea. In part-
icular the Cockney slang alphabet (The Cockney Alphabet)
 in which A to Z had been paired with a phrase such as...

G
FOR POLICE
[chief of police]

V
FOR LA FRANCE
 [viva la France]

of course each one was in a specific type face, this blog has the




London Art Fair





Aerial view of London Art Fair - Photo AH

Laurie from the Fine Art rotation had invited me to the opening
evening of the London Art Fair in Angel. The event was similar
to when I'd visited Frieze Art Fair in October last year.


AH scanned image of Fair Guide

However, the major difference being the LAF is based around commer-
cial sales as opposed to showcasing a galleries artists. A bonus was be-
ing allowed to take photos (below and above AH) of artists work. I al-
so picked up several broadsheets and leaflets which have helped me in
my sketchbooks. Also introducing me to EDDIE KING who is most
famous for the album graphics/art for the legendary rock band the Clash.
I liked the pieces which are below, I think many have relations to graphic
design and I'm starting to distinguish more effectively the fine line between
Art and Design.











No comments:

Post a Comment