Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Museum of Everything #3 & Clay Sinclair

After being given our first brief in Vis Com I decided whilst I had some free time I'd venture to The Museum of Everything near Primrose Hill. It took me quite a while to find it, Wendy was definately right about checking on Google maps before hand. Nevertheless the exhibition run merely by volunteers and established by Sir Peter Blake was certainly intreaging. Initially I didn't quite know what to make of it, especially after examining several times the size of Tom Thumbs shoes! (literally no bigger than the length of  pen) but as I moved round the space, which in its self is rather quirky I felt quite amazed at the amount of original pieces of work that were present. In particular images of David Hockney and a lrg self portait print/painting, pieces by Van Gogh, Cheetah the chimpanzee (the first and only chimp to of had work hung in the National Gallery) but most pertanent to me was the original targets used for the album cover of Oasis' Stop The Clocks.


                   

It looked just like this except not quite as
vibrant and there's two of them side
by side.


....I jumped on the tube and took a couple of stops to get to Goodge St. Seen as I had never been there before it was quite an experience being in an area which is a commercial hub for many Ad' and Media agencies. I noticed that there were several small, private galleries each boasting their own artists, however I soon reached the Woolff Gallery where Clay Sinclair is exhibiting his work. Immediately I was hit by the vibrancy of colour used in his paintings/prints, on closure inspection his pieces have a rather graphic and typographic element which express his opinions on many aspects of society, the ego and environment. My particular favourite has to be 'Happiness is...' (which had been sold) in which Sinclair ends this sentence with some rathr witty comments,

...'dancing with naked women at the top of a hill'
                                                                                     ...'yours for the price of theis painting'
                                                       ..'found at a high street near you'
             ...'constant stimulation'
                    

                  


No comments:

Post a Comment